Translate

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Wienerschniztel vs. Cheeseburger

So, while in Europe I went to tour the amazing Allianz Arena. The home of FC Bayern Munich, triple winners. 1860 Munich also plays there but has to rent the stadium from Bayern for about 10 Million Euros a season. Yeah, a lot of money just to play in a stadium, but hey, its awesome. Well the 1860 Munich 2nd team (not even the 1st team 1860 Munich) had a playoff game at the Allianz the night I went to tour. So we went and watched the match. It then gave me a wonderful idea: to compare the play of the 4th league German division to the MLS.

Firstly, you can tell the style of play is totally different. The MLS these days are really are about tall and strong guys. Of course there are the short quick players too, but aerial threats seem to be an important part of the MLS game. Meanwhile in the German 4th division, its more European style. The quick short passes, with the occasional thru-ball. Both are fun to compare to each other. And it was fun seeing a different style of play.

If FC Dallas played the 2nd 1860 Munich team I would think it would be a super close game. I really do not think the quality of the 4th division play was that high. I might actually edge out FC Dallas 3-1 or something like that. The thing that would be interesting to see in the match is how FC Dallas adapted to the passing. When I have been to a couple of their games, I can see that it's hard for them to get a great string of passes on the ground going. While 1860 Munich tied some pretty good strings of passes together. Then you could counter that with how would 1860 Munich deal with the physical part of the game and defending set pieces (although they did score off a set piece in the playoff match).

So when the crazy announcer during an MLS game says "wow I think most of the MLS players are as good or are better than the players in Germany", he might be talking about the German 4th division.

Come back next time and read. I think I've got some pretty good editions coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment